Frequently Asked Questions


How do I make an appointment with a CARE advocate?

Please submit an online appointment request form. All appointment requests currently have a 2-3 business days response time.


What meeting options are available?

Appointments may be in-person at our CARE office at Oakes College, or remote via phone or Zoom.


What can I expect for an in-person appointment?

  • Wearing masks in our office is optional.
  • HEPA filters will be running in all offices
  • Arrive no more than 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time, so that we can limit the number of people in our waiting area.
  • If you are feeling unwell but would like to keep your appointment, please be in touch with our office so that we can arrange a Zoom appointment.
  • If you would like to have a support person accompany you, please discuss with the Intake Coordinator and/or your Advocate so that we can best meet your appointment needs.


Are you taking drop-ins?

Same-day appointments are available based on limited capacity.


Can anyone come to CARE for help?

We provide services to UCSC students, staff and faculty members who are experiencing or have experienced sexual violence, dating/domestic violence and/or stalking.  We provide services to significant others - such as friends, family, partners - who are supporting a survivor or just have some questions. We are also able to see alumni/ae in special circumstances.


Where is the CARE office located?

For in-person appointments, we are located at Oakes College, at the Oakes Academic Building in Suite 221. This is an annex on the left side of the main building above the writing center. Please call (831) 502-2273 if you need assistance. Remote appointments are also available.

Same-day appointments are available based on limited capacity.


Is the CARE Office open during breaks?

CARE is open during summer, spring break, and most of winter break. We are closed during official campus holidays.

What does it mean that CARE is confidential?

Confidentiality means CARE advocates will not share any information with Title IX, the police, parents, or anyone else without your explicit permission.

Can I bring a friend with me to speak with a CARE advocate?

If you would like to have a support person accompany you, please discuss with the Intake Coordinator and/or your Advocate so that we can best meet your appointment needs.


If I experienced sexual violence off-campus or before I enrolled or started working at UCSC, can I still get help?

Yes. Confidential support is available to help any student, staff and faculty currently at UCSC regardless of whether the sexual violence occurred on or off campus. In addition, we understand that some people may have experienced sexual violence before coming to UCSC and may be seeking support services. Advocates provide resources, including connecting you with trained psychological counselors.

What is sexual violence?

Sexual violence is an all encompassing non-legal term for a variety of different non-consensual sexual acts. Some examples are street harassment, rape, child sexual abuse, incest, gang rape, digital sexual abuse (revenge porn) and sexual assault by an intimate partner. This is not an exhaustive list, so please contact CARE if you have any questions.

What is dating violence?

Dating violence is an escalating pattern of manipulation that allows one person to have power and control over an intimate/romantic partner. The abusive partner may blame their partner for causing the abuse, minimize the abuse and/or deny the abuse is even occurring. It can include sexual, emotional, physical, financial and verbal abuse, or a combination of these. Most abusive partners use solely emotional tactics to harm the other partner and most of the time it can be seen as “normal” relationship issues. Please contact CARE if you have any questions or are unsure if you are in an abusive relationship.

What is stalking?

Stalking is a pattern of repeated non-consensual attention. This includes, but is not limited to: persistent and unwanted contact over the phone, in person, through texts, emails, social media and/or dating apps. Other examples are unwanted gifts, showing up unannounced or without invitation, watching from afar,  threats, posting personal info online, using spyware to track online activity and/or installing video cameras in house/dorm. People who stalk can be subtle and minimize the seriousness of stalking so please contact CARE if you have any questions.

Is talking to a CARE advocate the same as filing a formal report?

No. CARE advocates can explain all reporting options to you - including the option to not report - but speaking with an advocate about an incident does not constitute filing an official complaint with the university. Filing a report is a process and if you choose or want to report, an advocate can connect you with the appropriate office and support you during the reporting process.


What if I am not comfortable coming to the CARE office in Oakes?

We now have both remote and in-person options for appointments. We are happy to meet via Zoom or over the phone with you! When reaching out to schedule an appointment with us, please let us know your preference to meet in-person or virtually, and we can coordinate an appointment that best meets your needs.


Who should I contact if I need support after hours or on the weekend?

We work closely with Monarch Services, our local rape crisis center. Monarch provides free, confidential advocacy for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence through their 24/7 crisis line: 1-888-900-4232. You can also follow up with a CARE advocate the next business day for advocacy with campus matters.

Where can I go for information and help if I have been accused of sexual violence or dating violence?

You can speak to the campus respondent services coordinator, who is a trained individual who can help you understand your rights, explain the investigation and adjudication process, and refer you to campus and community resources that you may need.